How I Got Here (5-15-09)

So here I am, embarking on what I anticipate to be the most epic summer of my life (so far, of course). I intend to closely document it, soak in every detail, and make the most of every opportunity. Honestly, I can't recall the last time I was so eagerly looking forward to something. I'm typically more inclined to say “Don’t expect too much, so you won’t be disappointed.” But that's is no way to live, is it? No...

I am convinced that God has plans for me beyond what I could ever envision for myself. And I believe if I devote myself to seeking Him and His will, He will not only direct me on that path I should take, but will give me an abundantly full life. I am being led on an adventure, full of risk and dangers, but I believe that’s just part of the call.

“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.” Luke 9:23-24

Here’s a cool dissection of that passage from a book I read prior to my arrival in Colorado:

“Go first to give your life to get life. Then trust God will provide the other stuff as a byproduct of following Jesus with deadly, reckless abandon. If you live to protect your life, Jesus says you lose. But if you lose your life for the sake of Jesus, you’ll find rich blessings of life. In the end, the most radical call is not a missionary call. The most radical call with the greatest blessings comes from living a life of commitment to the lordship of Christ.” (Mack and Leann’s Guide to Short Term Missions)

So that’s the plan. Live a life of deadly reckless abandon worthy of the call I have received. (Ok, don’t be alarmed, mother. That does not mean making unwise, purposely dangerous, or thrill-seeking decisions, but trusting that God may lead me to take some risks and be out of my comfort zone.) I’m attempting to position myself in a place where I can be used. Yeah, it may not through ministry in a developing country the rest of my life or even all that dangerous. But I am excited for the opportunity now, this summer to "GO". This opportunity to combine a passion for civil engineering and a curiosity about missions is such a privilege!

I am seeking God’s will for my life this summer, and He has brought me to an engineering missions organization: Engineering Ministries International (eMi) as an intern. We are traveling to Southern Sudan is less than a week to work with an organization, Rebuild Sudan, to design a school and a women’s center as well as provide clean water for the community. I honestly think God has been preparing me for work like this for a long time. There have been several influencing factors that have led me to a passion for providing clean water. My freshman year over spring break, I went to Haiti and installed rain catchment systems to provide clean water. It was there that I first understood the importance of water and began to see the connection between engineering and missions. Throughout my sophomore and junior years I have been involved with a few student organizations who are involved in providing sustainable solutions to various infrastructure needs in the developing world.

So here I am in Colorado Springs, about to embark on an adventure several years in the making. It is now, in this great opportunity that I am able to truly explore what a future in engineering missions might look like, and whether I am suited for it. I am no longer bound by the responsibilities and stresses of school. I am FREE to to listen, learn, experience and just enjoy what this summer has to offer. I cannot think of a better way to spend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment