Some Reflections

____________(Our Team with the community leaders from Jalle)

My time spent in Southern Sudan was amazing, and it was a privilege to be a part of this team. I enjoyed getting to know each and every one of our team members and learned so much just in conversation with them. I was able to ask lots of questions and document most of what I learned. In light of the practical civil engineering knowledge I gained during the trip, I’m contemplating a change in major concentration to Water Resources. (This trip has helped me realize even more, that water is what I am truly passionate about.)

It was also amazing to see the work that God is doing to rebuild Southern Sudan. It was an encouragement to see the hope that is returning to the people and the growth that has occurred over the past few years. Even seeing the great support and the accommodations that were made for us during this trip were an incredible blessing. Although there continues to be some unrest and uncertainty in the future, God is moving and the people are hopeful.

This trip was also a confirmation that I would like to continue to be involved in engineering missions, as least in some capacity; whether that be on a volunteer basis or maybe spending a more significant amount of time in a developing country doing civil engineering work. I’ve discovered that I have more of an attraction to long term involvement in one place. I would really love to live somewhere for a more extended period of time to get to know people and the culture more, but I’m content to start out with more short term stuff and see where that leads. At this point, I do not have any particular place in mind. I would love to return to Southern Sudan to see how the ministry is doing, or observe the construction of the school and women’s center we designed, but I'm not making any particular plans at this point .

Engineering missions, now more than ever, excites me. I see how I can be passionate and involved with that sort of ministry, and I pray that God will be clear in his direction of my path beyond this point. Thank you again to all of you who made this summer possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment